(i) The question paper is divided into three sections :
|Section A||:||Reading||20 marks|
|Section B||:||Writing & Grammar||25 marks|
|Section C||:||Literature||25 marks|
(iii) You may attempt any section at a time.
(iv) All questions of that particular section must be attempted in the correct order:
Read the passage given below :
(1) The hopping kangaroo is a familiar sight in every snapshot relating to Australia. Member of the kangaroo family can be as small as a rat or as big as a man. Kangaroos are found mainly in Australia, Tasmania and New Guinea. Kangaroos which are big-footed marsupials that evolved in Australia use their short front legs like arms. The mansized kangaroos of Australia are capable of speeding up to 88 km/hr for short distances, their means of locomotion being their powerful hind legs, which carry them over the ground in jumps of 9 m or more at a time.
(2) Weighing around 70 kg they have an average lifespan of around six to eight years and a maximum lifetime of 20 years. When bothered by predators kangaroos often head for the water, standing submerged to the chest, and attempting to drown the attacker by holding him under water. Another defensive technique is to get their back to a tree and kick and their adversary with their clawed hind feet, sometimes with sufficient force to kill a man. Normally shy animals, they alert other kangaroos to danger by beating on the ground with their hand feet. This loud alarm signal carries over a long distance.
(3) The tail is important for kangaroos. It holds them in balance and supports them when they sit or fight against other kangaroos. The kangaroo uses its short legs as arms. With them it scratches itself, cleans its fur and holds branches when its eats leaves. Kangaroos are marsupials and the females carry newborns in a pouch in front of their abdomens. The babies are born small and climb up into the safety of the pouch. There for the next 225 days or so, they eat, sleep, and grow. Once they reach full development they leave the pouch. A young kangaroo that leaves the pouch is called a 'joey'. To keep from getting too hot the kangaroos take naps in the afternoon and do most of their gazing at night. But the best stay-cool secret of these creatures is the spit bath ! Kangaroos drool and lick saliva all over their faces and bodies to cool down.
1.1 On the basis of your reading of the above passage, complete the following sentences with appropriate words/phrases.a) When followed by predators kangaroos submerge __________ and __________.
b) The powerful hind legs help kangaroos to __________.c) Kangaroos are mainly found in Australia and are __________.
d) They use their front legs to __________.
e) Kangaroos warn others of danger by __________.
f) The secret of kangaroos to stay cool is __________.
g) They use their tails to __________.
h) Before becoming 'joeys' the young ones stay in the __________ and __________.VIEW SOLUTION
Read the passage given below :
1. It is rare to find someone with a good technical and communication skills. You can get far ahead of your colleagues if you combine the two early in your career. People will judge, evaluate, promote or block you based on your communication skills. Since habits form by repeating both goods and bad forms of communication, learn to observe great communicators and adopt their styles and traits − in written and verbal forms. The art of listening and learning from each and every interaction, is another secret recipe. Develop the subconscious habit of listening to yourself as you speak and know when to pause.
2. Learning what not to say is probably more important than learning what to say. As your career develops, you will realize that the wise speak less. Speak when you have value to add, else refrain. Poorly constructed e-mails with grammatical errors are acceptable between friends, but they should be seriously avoided while communicating formally with your seniors. Avoid any communication in an emotional state when you might say things you will regret later. One unnecessary word uttered at the wrong time or place can ruin a relationship, career or even your life. Such is the power of words. If such a thing happens, you should immediately apologise, else it may haunt you for life.
3. Another problem to overcome is speaking too fast, Since our minds are working faster than our speech, we are inclined to speak fast. This does not necessarily mean that the person hearing it will get it any faster. On the contrary, it is always the reverse. So slow down, think before you speak. "When I get ready to speak to people," Abraham Lincoln said, "I spend two-thirds of the time thinking what they want to hear and one-third thinking what I want to say." Adding humour and wit is also essential. But realize that not all jokes are funny and observe certain boundaries. Never say anything that could offend. Remember you are not a comedian who must offend as many people as you can to be witty.2.1 Answer the following question briefly.a. Why is it necessary to have good communication skills?
b. How can communication skills be developed?
c. What according to the writer should be avoided while communicating?
d. Why should you be careful when you ten to be humorous?
2.2 Choose the most appropriate meanings of the given words from the options provided.a. evaluate(i) estimate
b. trait(i) treaty
c. utter(i) flatter
d. haunt(i) huntVIEW SOLUTION
The tourism industry can bring valuable income to the country. Using your ideas along with ideas from the MCB unit, Travel and Tourism, write a letter to the editor of a popular daily on how the government and the public can boost the development of this industry. Write the letter in 100-120 words. You are Rama/Ram, 4 Rani Road, Ranchi.OR
The youth of different states should be given a chance to meet one another through national meets and other programmes. Taking ideas from the MCB unit, National Integration and your own ideas write an article in 100-120 words on the topic, Youth and National Integration You are Ram/Rama. VIEW SOLUTION
Write a short story in 150-200 words on the basis of the hints provided. Raghav walked fast. It was getting dark. He then realised that he had lost his way ..........
It was late night. Anjali was about to switch off the light and go to bed when she saw a light outside the window. On close observation she realised that it was a fire ..........VIEW SOLUTION
Fill in the blanks choosing the most appropriate options from the ones given below. Write the answers in your answer-sheet against the correct blank numbers.
There are four trees in the garden. branches sway in the breeze. The children play the trees. Some of the girls sleeping in the shade of the trees.
(a) (i) There (ii) Their (iii) Every (iv) An (b) (i) under (ii) over (iii) above (iv) in (c) (i) is (ii) was (iii) are (v) have
The following paragraph has not been edited. There is one error in each marked line. Write the error and its correction as shown in the example.
Error Correction I went to the pool then no one e.g. then when was there. The place being quiet. a) ------- ------- A water was still, and the tiled b) ------- ------- bottom was so white and clean c) ------- ------- as a bathtub. I was timid for going in alone. d) ------- -------
Read the dialogue given below and complete the paragraph that follows. Write the correct answers in your answer sheet against the correct blank numbers.
Doctor : Have you got the tests done?
Karna : No, I have not.Doctor : Get them done today itself.
The doctor asked Karna (a) ___________________. He replied that (b) ________________. The doctor asked _______________. VIEW SOLUTION
Read the extract given below and answer the questions that follow.
Patol Babu suddenly felt that he could write a whole thesis on that monosyllabic exclamation. Why had he felt so disheartened when this single word contained a gold-mine of meaning?
(a) Why was Patol Babu disheartened?(b) Which was the word that contained a 'gold-mine'?
(c) What does the word 'monosyllabic' mean?OR
How foolish do your fears seem now, Calpurnia I am ashamed. I did yield to them.Give me my robe, for I will go.
(a) Why was Calpurnia afraid?(b) Where did Caesar decide to go?
(c) What does the word 'yield' mean?VIEW SOLUTION
Answer any four of the following questions in 30-40 words each.(a) Why did the poet try to harm the snake ?
(b) How did Michael in the last game save Sebastian ?(c) How did the mariners reach the land of ice and snow ?
(d) "The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed". Whose hand and heart are referred to in this line ? Why ?(e) Why did Caesar's will infuriate the Romans ? VIEW SOLUTION
How does the lesson, 'A Shady Plot' remind us that man has no right to invoke supernatural powers through Ouija boards, Tarot cards etc to solve his problems and that one should face life boldly and overcome difficulties using wit and intelligence. Write in 80−100 words.
Respect for all forms of life is an essential value. Unmindful destruction of nature and its creatures deserves just punishment. Write in 80−100 words this essential value as brought out in the poem, 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner'. VIEW SOLUTION
Attempt the following in 150-200 words.VIEW SOLUTION
Bring out the importance of the diary in Anne's life.
Why does Anne call herself 'a bundle of contradictions'?
What was the incident of the Frost King? How did it affect Helen?
Write a character sketch of Bishop Brooks as he appears in Helen Keller's − The Story of My Life.
Board Papers 2014, Board Paper Solutions 2014, Sample Papers for CBSE Board, CBSE Boards Previous Years Question Paper, Board Exam Solutions 2014, Board Exams Solutions Maths, Board Exams Solutions English, Board Exams Solutions Hindi, Board Exams Solutions Physics, Board Exams Solutions Chemistry, Board Exams Solutions Biology, Board Exams Solutions Economics, Board Exams Solutions Business Studies, Maths Board Papers Solutions, Science Board Paper Solutions, Economics Board Paper Solutions, English Board Papers Solutions, Physics Board Paper Solutions, Chemistry Board Paper Solutions, Hindi Board Paper Solutions, Political Science Board Paper Solutions, Answers of Previous Year Board Papers, Delhi Board Paper Solutions, All India Board Papers Solutions, Abroad/Foreign Board Paper Solutions, cbse class 12 board papers, Cbse board papers with solutions, CBSE solved Board Papers, ssc board papers.